Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Misty Breath of October

The misty breath of October has descended. There really is like a strange rain/mist going on today in Boston. I've got my blue rain jacket on and Patriots t-shirt. Im sad to say that fall still hasn't really arrived. Im slightly disappointed. There are a few trees that have shown their colors but not many. 
     A lot of amazing things happened this week in the work. Yesterday we had two new investigators. One of them was a man named Pedro that we were talking to on the street and we asked if we could accompany him to his house and talk for a little while. He accepted the offer. There was a feeling of distrust/disbelief from him but it was cool to be able to meet his family and give them a Book of Mormon
      The other investigator came to church on sunday with his wife, who is a member. We were able to teach him last night and he absorbed the lesson of the restoration, repeating it to the most minor details when we asked him what he learned. He served in the Marines at Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii and his wife went to BYUH. Their names are Michael and Melody.
      Something that i thought I would share with you: It's really unfortunate, but the city of Boston is not very good at keeping the Word of Wisdom. Everyday I see the terrible consequences of smoking, drinking and doing drugs. This week I ran into a lot of drunk people and the smell has seemed to linger around everywhere I go. These drunks completely lose their decency and do weird things in public. Of course, as missionaries we automatically attract attention and they gravitate to us. One man dressed up like a cowboy pretended to shoot my companion with his hand. I've seen some drunk people dancing in the train. It's just sad that they ruin their lives in such a way. Don't drink!
        With Halloween approaching I decided to learn some spanish words for spooky things like Calabaza (Pumpkin) and Espectral (Ghostly) Just something fun.
        This week transfers happened but there weren't many changes for my district. We will be welcoming another Haitian speaking elder to our apartment which will be fun. (There will be 5 of us.) Elder Swasey and I are excited to able to spend another transfer together. Our companionship isn't perfect, but we have a unity in our purpose and desires that drives us forward. He is really good at speaking spanish, so i'm learning the language better than ever before on my mission, although there is still a lot of knowledge lacking.
         I was happy to hear that BYU has really good defense this year. It obviously made me think of gospel parallels. Are we defending ourselves from the bad things that are going on in the world? Are we defending our religious rights as people are striving to tear down the moral standards that we have? There will be difficult trials in the near future but as long as we are built upon the rock of the gospel, we will be strong. Helaman 5:12. I also enjoyed hearing that my family is reading around John 14. There are really good scriptures there about becoming servants of Jesus Christ and unifying with him. 
        I would like to thank my family for being the best. I really don't deserve the amazing family that I have. My prayers are extended out to you. I think often about my grandparents, cousins, siblings, parents, everyone. You are the biggest blessing that I have. Im really grateful for all of the little things that you do for me.
        My friends are cool too.
Adios a todos.
-Elder Ludlow

P.S. Pics: Half colorful tree, a dead snake by my shoe and my district at the picnic we had last week after district meeting


No comments:

Post a Comment