Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24 Letter

Dear People,

It's a gorgeous day in Boston and I just wanted to send another wonderful email. It is such a pleasure to do this every week. I apologize for sometimes not being consistent!

I have had some good experiences since i last wrote. As usual, the missionary work feels like it goes up and down like waves but when I take a step back right now and look at things, they're going pretty well. Unlike the BYU cougars, which is unfortunate. It's ok though, because the Red Sox didn't do very good either.

When I heard that my family got another vehicle i surprised myself by not feeling bad about it at all. Im happy for my brothers and maybe everything will run smoother now. It looks like a really nice car.

There was a zone conference on tuesday with Elder Haleck of the seventy speaking to us. It was in Franklin and it was a spiritual feast. We passed by Gillette Stadium on the way there (Where the Patriots play) which was on my mission bucket list. Elder Haleck spoke about working with members and shared some profound stories from his time as a missionary and mission president (in the same place, Samoa.) The picture of me with a wooded background is there next to the church. 

Last P-day was also my first time at Harvard square. We walked around a little bit and went to the bookstore there. It's a neat place. I still haven't been to very many of the historical sites around Boston but im planning on doing more next month.

Something really exciting for me is the diversity of people that im starting to talk with on the streets. We get approached by random people all the time but recently a muslim came and talked to us for a while. I have actually met quite a few arabs and spoken in arabic with them. Even at subway! At the same restaurant i chatted with some israeli's that were visiting the US. They were a super friendly couple from Tel aviv. Immediately after that another couple from Jerusalem stopped us outside and asked us for directions. Ohhh the city life.

I haven't started teaching Natalia yet but she has come to church twice in a row now and our plan is to start this week. Most of our teaching has been with really solid long-time investigators that are finally starting to approach baptism. There are a few of them. So we haven't taught very many first lessons lately, or picked up anyone new. 

Best of my wishes to Grandma Ludlow as she goes through more recovery. I love all of my grandparents and salute them for exemplary lives and the great letters I receive from them. 

Remember to be doers of the word and not hearers only! When we come before our Savior and say "Lord, Lord" but haven't done what he asked us to do it will mean nothing. Live the gospel and let the spirit thrive in conversation, action and meditation. I encourage you to let the holy ghost lead one of your prayers this week.

Avoid the pride virus! I have seen pride everywhere on my mission, and it's bad :/ Humility and charity are the best antidotes. This is a serious disease in the world today.

Love always,
Elder J. Ludlow Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment